Thursday, February 11, 2010

Puke and Fruit

Student teaching has been surprisingly good so far. I have learned a lot and each day I get more responsibility and gain more confidence as a teacher. I have also had some interesting "first" experiences. I have been flipped off, had a student throw up on the gym floor, had police come to interrogate a girl for stealing items out of the locker room, had a girl fart in class (very audibly), and had a wonderful student bring me an apple. Isn't that cute?

I know there will be many more instances similar to these if I continue to stay in education so I should get used to it. But there is one "first" that I hope to prolong as much as possible…parent-teacher conflict! All in all, I am starting to feel like a real teacher now and will catch myself actually having fun every once in a while.

4 comments:

  1. I would like to read more about you getting flipped off please

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the girl throwing up on the floor: Bleeeeegh. Throw up should be a private. This does not seem like a good blog.

    And Aunt Alli, what if I was stronger than superman? Then I would win the tug-of-war.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree... more details, please! Glad you are getting more comfortable in your profession. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The class had to run 5 sprints as fast as they could and she finished her 4th and started walking. I thought she might have mis-counted and assumed she had done all 5. I said, "one more, keep on going, hang in there!" And she turned around, flipped me the bird, and kept on walking. I didn't do anything about it and I wouldn't see her again until after the weekend, so I decided to not deal with it until Monday. It didn't hurt my feelings, it just made me sad to think that she is that unhappy with life to have the cajones to flip off a teacher and not even care about the consequences. I know she has a less-than-ideal home life so I carefully considered how to handle the situation. When I talked to her on on Monday I was so nervous, I could barely even get the words out. But she sincerely apologized immediately, then I talked (more like choked out words) for a little bit, then she walked back into the room and shouted, "I HATE THIS CLASS!!!"

    Ethan, I bet you will be stronger than Superman when you grow up! Then you could win the tug-of-war!

    ReplyDelete