Yesterday, Saturday the 12th, Dad and some coworkers participated in the Utah Marathon Relay for cystic fibrosis in South Jordan. His work put together a few teams comprised of 5 runners each. Every runner runs the same 5.2 mile looped course. Dad ran the anchor (and hottest) leg for his team. The race started at 7am and lucky for Dad, he was still in bed when the gun went off. He left the house at 8am and started his run around 11:15am.
Here he is waiting at the finish line for the 4th runner to pass off the baton.
Unfortunately the conflabbed batteries died right as I was trying to take a picture of Dad receiving the baton...sorry.
The course is pretty cool because you get to see the runners during the race instead of just at the beginning and end. After 4 miles the path runs parallel to the start/finish line so we just sat at the park and waited for him to come running back through. He said he would be walking but he ran right by us. He didn't even stop to drink the water mom gave him, he just threw it on top of his head and...
kept on running. (Mi malo, my finger is in the way. He was just going so fast!)
Here he is turning the last corner a few yards from the finish line.
He ran straight towards the picnic tables and sat down.
I call this the, "I can't believe I just did that! Woah!" shot.
And this the, "Now why did I volunteer for this again?"
And finally the, "Oh yeah, that's why."
Dad did so well! It was amazing! He ran 5.2 miles in 54 minutes and 12 seconds. That's less than 11 minutes per mile and he didn't even run the entire thing! He set up his playlist on his iPOD to do (I think these numbers are correct) 10 minutes of running to fast music, then 1 minute of slow music to walk, then 11 minutes of fast, 1 minute of slow, etc. so that each set of fast songs would equal one mile. However, he was going so fast that after reaching the first mile marker, he was still on the fast songs! Mom and I couldn't believe it, we were sitting and waiting for him to pass by expecting him to finish the 4th mile in about 50 minutes but we headed over early because there was nothing else to do. It's a good thing because he came zooming by and were shocked!
So in conclusion, Dad rocks! He got a participant medal and earned the rep as the anchor who ran the hardest leg of a Marathon Relay! Way to go Daddy-o!
P.S. You have to ask him how to figured out his one mile run time while at work. :o)
Wow Dad, You are one brainy guy to figure all that out on your iPod. Way cool. And you are one tough guy to run that long, that fast, without throwing up. My Dad is stronger than YOUR Dad!
ReplyDeleteWell Alli, I'd say he's all warmed up for you guys' triathlon this weekend! Good luck you two!
No, I haven't found Platform 9 & 3/4 yet, but I haven't been to look. It actually exsists, did you know that? All the tourists wanted to see it so they put a metal suitcase halfway into the wall at King's Cross. I'll post the pic when I get there. We all have the classes with each other, but that's the only time we're all required to see each other. I mean, we all hang out in the student centre but I'd rather wander on my own than sit with them and watch how many shots they can do and still walk, you know?
ReplyDelete