Dad and I hiked to the top of Mount Timpanogos last Saturday. We left the house at about 5:15 A.M. and got out of the car at about 6:15 A.M. It was a .7 mile walk from our car to the head of the trail. I thought we had to be getting close to the top several miles too soon on a couple of different occasions because there were hundreds of people already on their way down and it was still so early in the morning! I guess they either ran most of the trail or left sometime around midnight. It would be a death wish to climb that narrow trail and scale that mountain in the dark!We only stopped once to eat a snack. It took us 4 hours to reach the summit, a distance of about 6.5 miles. We spent only about a ten minute break at the top because we were drenched in sweat and there was a breeze so it got really cold really fast. The descent took about three hours. I had to go to the bathroom so badly that I ran almost the last two miles down. (So sorry Dad, it was an EMERGENCY! (I guess I could have called the British emergency help line 811 9995 6523 899115...3)) Then we had to finish the return walk back to the car for a a grand total of just over 14 miles, finishing at 2:00 P.M.
The next morning I could barely get out of bed. Every muscle in my body hurt! Dad experienced a discomfort of his own but we are so glad we did it. It was something Dad wanted to cross off his bucket list and I think we'll do it again...but not anytime soon.



That's so cool. You two rock. I wanna do that... someday. So was there ANY place discreet enough to pee if you are a girl? If not, I think some "Oops I Crapped My Pants" would become a necessity. Or maybe they already ARE a necessity considering you guys were THAT close to a couple of moose! Freeeeaaaky.
ReplyDeleteDid the moose eat a man?!? Are those his jeans on the rock?!?
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAbout It
ReplyDeleteBlogger Allison Ashton said...
Crissy, hahahaha!!!! I think I just peed my pants reading that! But no, there are no places to discreetly relieve yourself because the trail is so narrow. It's either pee along the mountain wall or off a cliff most of the time.
Kare, uh...I didn't think of that before. Now I wish I wouldn't have gotten so close to them...
Do you think Ethan could make the hike next summer?
ReplyDeleteUh...I think he could do the first few miles definitely but I'm not sure he could do the last couple. It gets pretty monotonous after a while also.
ReplyDelete